Re: Future release of emacs-26

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Future release of emacs-26
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 20:04:28 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 17:07:58 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > So, I'm thinking we should be aiming for another "regular" release
> > around September, when the GNU ELPA package signing key expires.  After
> > that, people downloading Emacs 26.2 won't be able to install GNU ELPA
> > packages without either disabling signature checking, or manually
> > installing the new key.
> >
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/35414
> > https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/gnu-elpa-keyring-update.html
>

> Another possibility would be to release Emacs-26.2.1 which is just
> Emacs-26.2 with the key updated.

We don't release X.Y.Z versions.  For starters, it gets in the way of
local build numbering.

We could, of course, release Emacs 26.3 with just the key update, but
IMO, given the effort required to put a tarball out the door, it would
make more sense to have the fixes we backported since 26.2 as well.

> This could be done with a single commit and would not require an
> extensive pre-test period.

26.3 from the current branch should not require an extensive pretest
either.

> It seems problematic to me to tie a release cycle to a key running
> out.

We don't.  We just use that as a pretense for another 26.x release.