Re: make-dist failure on master

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: make-dist failure on master
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 11:55:09 -0400

Phillip Lord wrote:

>> Sounds like a bug. (Though my, presumably outdated or wrong,
>> recollection was that make-dist required an in-tree build.)
>
> Effectively it does, unless you use the right options. Whether that was
> a design decision or not, I don't know.

Actually, maybe it was the ChangeLog needing an in-tree build that I was
thinking of.

IMO --snapshot should do whatever is appropriate to make an Emacs
tarfile for use on ftp.gnu.org. I think that includes sanity-checking
and adding a ChangeLog.

I don't have an opinion on whether make-dist needs to support
out-of-tree builds.