Re: Bloat in Windows (revisited)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Bloat in Windows (revisited)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 16:59:50 +0100

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <address@hidden> writes:

> I see. You asking for help with Windows made me assume too much. Since
> MinGW64 can be ran on Unix, I assumed that you managed to do just
> that. Actually have anyone ever tried that? Is there some big problem
> that would prevent this from working, or it's just a lot of work in
> adapting scripts and getting dependencies compiling?

Eli can probably answer this much better than I. For Emacs-26, there is
unexec functionality which is going to be platform specific, although I
presume that problem goes away with the portable dumper which is (I
guess) portable.

After that, the basic problem is that Emacs is build using Emacs; first
temacs, then bootstrap-emacs. So, you have to be able to run Emacs on
the platform that you are building it on, which conflicts with the idea
of cross compliation.

Phil