Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:53:48 -0400

> What if Emacs crashes half way through that loop, because 'i' is
> computed incorrectly?  With line buffering, we risk not seeing
> anything.

Seeing none of the 32 bytes of fingerprint instead of only seeing the
first N of them seems like a very minor inconvenient.

Buffering can indeed be harmful, but only when significant
computation/time can pass between the `fprintf` and the moment the
corresponding text is "displayed", which is not the case here (nor
anywhere else in Emacs's C code, according to my quick "grep stderr").

> So this looks like a net loss to me.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but FWIW, I see a net gain and no
significant loss.

        Stefan