Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 12:59:03 -0600

On 20/06/2019 10:28, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 6/20/19 6:32 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Rather than fiddle with the line-buffering, how hard would it be to
>> change our code such that there's a single call to `fprintf` (or
>> whichever function it is we use in that code) which prints both the
>> "hello" and the "\n"?
>
> Reasonably hard. That's what I tried to do first, and it's not nearly as
> easy.

Hi Paul,

maybe I am missing something, but I thought that the issue is only with
output omitted by (message) function call.  If my quick analysis of the
code is correct, those print to stderr only via message_to_stderr() in
xdisp.c. I don't think it would be that hard to make that function emit
the trailing newline along with the message.

What am I missing?

It is funny how message_to_stderr() has an explicit fflush(stderr) at
the end. Eli makes it look like Emacs should force stderr to be
unbuffered, and thus that call is useless.

Cheers,
Dan