Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 10:30:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm okay with making 'message' write in one go to stderr, but I don't
> want to pay the price of having stderr buffered globally.  Several
> solutions for this single issue were already proposed, but we keep
> rejecting them and returning to line-buffering time and again.  I
> think if we want to solve the original problem, that of 'message' in
> batch sessions, we should stop looking for a 110% perfect solution,
> and certainly not try to solve additional issues while we are at that.

I'm also not very enthusiastic about making stderr line-buffered -- when
exploring Emacs internals, I've sometimes resorted to putting
fprintf(stderr...) calls into the C code to see what's happening, and
while the normal thing to do is to have a \n at the end of those,
that may not be what other people in the same situation always do, and
we'll end up with frustrating people unnecessarily.