Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC M

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC Mode
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:05:31 +0000

Hello, João.

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 14:31:58 +0100, João Távora wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

[ Bug #36474 ]

> You believe this is a bug in e-p-m. It's certainly your right to believe
> that. I believe it's a bug in cc-mode. Do I have that right, too?

No, you don't.  What you're implying is that as maintainer of a minor
mode, you have the right to dictate which parts of Emacs may be used by
a major mode, and how.  That's not how things work.

And I have not said there is a bug "in" electric-pair-mode.  I said that
it does not offer the requisite facilities to support CC Mode.  I have
been asking you for an enhancement rather than a bug fix.

> Good.

[ .... ]

> If don't agree, find a small enough solution that fixes e-p-m, propose
> it here,  then find a consensus that overrides my opinion, it happens
> all the time, won't hold it against you or anyone else, good luck.

I'm prepared to do this, but only on the understanding you will, on
principle, accept my solution, subject only to the customary review and
amendments process that any change goes through.

What do you say?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).