Re: Face for literal numbers.

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Face for literal numbers.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 10:50:41 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2019 13:57:26 -0400
>> Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,
>>  address@hidden
>>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> > I'm against such a feature.  "Because vim has it" doesn't seem like a
>> > sufficient justification.
>>
>> I don't personally like this feature either, but I don't see that as
>> a reason not to accept a package into GNU ELPA which provides it.
>
> And I actually don't understand why not define a font-lock face for
> numbers, and leave it to major modes whether to support it always, as
> an option, or not at all.

There is one: font-lock-constant-face. At least, that's what Ada mode
uses for numeric literals.

I agree the major mode should apply the face to the literals, rather
than having some minor mode do it.

If there is some language that does not yet have a major mode, it is
very easy to tell font-lock to highlight the keywords and literals.

--
-- Stephe