Re: master 9dc306b1: Improve reporting of I/O, access errors

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master 9dc306b1: Improve reporting of I/O, access errors
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 12:05:10 -0700

On 9/20/19 5:43 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

For such signals we have `access-file'. We shouldn't move its
functionality to `file-attributes'.

access-file is different: it signals an error if you cannot access (actually, read) a file, and if you cannot access the file because you cannot search its parent directory then that's simply another reason that you cannot access the file. In contrast, a predicate like file-exists-p is supposed to tell you whether the file exists regardless of whether you can access it.