Returning argument string (regexp-quote)

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Returning argument string (regexp-quote)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 13:28:15 +0200

In most calls to 'regexp-quote', the argument doesn't actually need converting.
It would be nice to avoid the allocation in that case. Patch.

More generally, do we need to preserve allocation for functions not
specifically documented to return new strings? I can imagine there being code
that depend on it by accident, but string mutation is rare.