State of the overlay branch (again)?

From: Sebastian Sturm
Subject: State of the overlay branch (again)?
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 09:59:02 +0200

Hi all,

I hope I'm not getting on anybody's nerves by repeatedly asking the same question, but a while ago I was asking about the state of the Emacs overlay branch (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-03/msg00565.html) because overlays are heavily used by some implementations of semantic highlighting (see emacs-ccls, lsp-mode).

Somehow I had thought that the noverlay branch had long since been merged with master but when I recently tried to find evidence for that merge, I couldn't find any.

So, is the new overlay functionality part of Emacs master (heavily renamed perhaps), or if not, is the merge still planned? If so, is there anything I could do to help speed up the merge process (as of yet I don't have any experience with the overlay mechanism or Emacs' C internals though)

thanks,
Sebastian