Re: State of the overlay branch (again)?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: State of the overlay branch (again)?
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 11:58:45 +0300

> From: Sebastian Sturm <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 09:59:02 +0200
>
> Somehow I had thought that the noverlay branch had long since been
> merged with master but when I recently tried to find evidence for that
> merge, I couldn't find any.
>
> So, is the new overlay functionality part of Emacs master (heavily
> renamed perhaps)

No, it wasn't merged.

> or if not, is the merge still planned?

We still hope to merge it at some point.

> If so, is there anything I could do to help speed up the merge
> process (as of yet I don't have any experience with the overlay
> mechanism or Emacs' C internals though)

AFAIK, the work on the branch is not finished, and it is not yet ready
for being merged.  So the problem is not the merging itself.

At this point, I also doubt I'd agree to merge it before the emacs-27
branch is cut, as we already have too many potentially destabilizing
changes on master, and adding one more will run the risk of making the
Emacs 27 pretest even longer than I fear it will be.