Re: Compilation failure on macOS 10.15 Catalina

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Compilation failure on macOS 10.15 Catalina
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:34:08 +0200

    Zach> I think that Apple has changed the way the Xcode command line tools
arrange headers on the system e.g. they are no longer put into /usr/include but
exist in
    Zach> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/

    Zach> Because of this Emacs cannot find libxml/tree.h during the
compilation process.

    Zach> I’ve found that adding this directory to ac_x_header_dirs in
    Zach> configure, then re-running ./configure, the trying to compile allows
    Zach> the program to build (the compiler output notes some deprecations but
    Zach> they’re just warnings). Is this a patch that should be upstream?

    Zach> Thanks for any guidance/feedback. I’m not sure if this is a permanent
change and Apple intended for it to be that way or not.

When this happens, which seems to be with every new Xcode release, I do

     $ cd /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/
     $ ls
     macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg

And then I run that .pkg file, which ends up producing:

    /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/tree.h

Robert