Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 16:31:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> That could be an okay solution, I think.

It's not ideal, but it's as easy as signalling a condition (maybe an
error) in the backend.  Flymake already interprets that a message from
the backend saying "I can't do anything here", and adds it to its
internal log.

>> But I you'd probably be adding more
> (and even that is inaccurate, since it can call eval).

The byte-compiler, and hence the elisp-flymake-byte-compile backend
would be mostly blind to that, too.

>> BTW, and on a tangent, a derived dir-locals-mode isn't the
>> bestoption. In OO, a derivation that _removes_functionality is a
>> no-no,it breaks "is a".
> So we agree on that.

I'm glad we do, too.  But we wouldn't be burning many bridges if we
break that for now, i.e. when we eventually decide to reorganize the
inheritance, we could keep the using the dir-locals-mode name.

João

PS: Again, on a tangent, and agreeing with Stefan that a dir-locals-mode
would probably be of more use than just for Flymake, other
"intermediate" modes that mixin some of elisp-mode's functionality would
be very welcome.  My top priority would be to have xref-find-definitions
(M-.)  work in *Help* for elisp functions.