Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 19:19:39 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> What key bindings would people want in dir-locals-mode?  What indentation
> strategies, what font-locking?

The answer to these questions lies in these lines of Stefan's patch,
which is extremely easy to read:

+(define-derived-mode emacs-lisp-data-mode prog-mode "Emacs-Lisp-Data"
+  "Major mode for buffers holding data written in Emacs Lisp syntax."
+  :group 'lisp
+  (lisp-mode-variables nil nil 'elisp)
+  (setq-local electric-quote-string t)
+  (setq imenu-case-fold-search nil))

> Nobody's given such positive reasons, as yet (unless I've missed a
> post).

I think you've missed at least a couple (aside from the original one)

> And making a common ancestor for this new mode and emacs-lisp-mode would
> be a Bad Thing.  It would fragment e-l-m for no particular gain.

What exactly do you mean by "fragmentation"?  What is the thing that you
can do now that you believe you will not be able to do later?

João