Re: Defining new sequence types for seq.el

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Defining new sequence types for seq.el
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:16:55 -0800

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 1:45 AM Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Do I need to use a struct with one slot? Any other tips?
>
> You could do something like:
>
> (setq my-list '(gnus-range (1 . 9) 35 120))

That did occur to me at some point, but seemed sort of hacky. But yes,
it would work!

I guess now I'm wondering how much benefit there is to integrating this
with seq. How much code would be able to profit from the polymorphism,
where we wanted to not to care whether a value was a range or a list? On
the other hand, maybe it would be nice just to be able to hide the
implementation.

What I really wish is that I knew C, and could implement these as
integer sets, at the C level. Maybe in a future career...

Thanks for your answer, and for letting me talk out loud.

Eric