Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 13:24:49 +0200

On 18.11.2019 10:42, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

Please see for yourself whether it has a sensible API:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/api_resources.html

I've skimmed the documentation, and it seems sensible, and doesn't seem
to RESTful, which can be a pain (i.e., it doesn't seem like you have
to issue separate GETs for each item in a "discussion", for instance).

But it has arbitrary restrictions like

per_page        Number of items to list per page (default: 20, max: 100)

which means that to download the 3300 open bugs in the Emacs bug tracker
you have to issue 33 of these, but whatevs.

I think that's normal for a public API, and 33 requests is not a lot.

(It does require authentication, though.)

That's a shame.  Accessing the read-only parts of the API shouldn't
require any auth, because that means that you have to register yourself
as a user on the web site before you can look at the bugs in the Emacs
interface, which looks like a deal breaker to me.

Sorry, I only meant that to do some modifications you need to have a registered account (unlike Debbugs which just needs an email).

Public info is public: https://emba.gnu.org/api/v4/projects/1/issues