Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 09:01:38 -0500

>> You need an account if you want to write a new bug report ("issue") in
>> Gitlab, even for public projects. No problem for Emacs developers, they
>> will have an account on Emacs' Gitlab stanza. But we will miss bug
>> reports from Emacs users, which usually have no account there.
> It has OAuth support, users could log in using an account from a number of
> popular services. So that should be a non-issue.

I don't think that's good enough.

Maybe we could do the following:

1- Get a new Gitlab feature which allows anonymous users to subscribe
   arbitrary email addresses to an issue.

2- Then we can build an email gateway from bug-gnu-emacs to Gitlab which
   adds the bug report (under some "gateway-bot" user) as a new issue and
   then subscribes the original submitter's email so they get an email
   copy on any activity to the bug.

3- Presumably any such email-copy comes with a specially crafted "From:"
   address such that replying to that email adds the reply as a comment
   in the issue.

I don't know if Gitlab has feature (3) already, but Github does so
I presume that it's not a problematic feature.

As for feature (1), while I understand that authentication is usually
necessary to reduce the risks of abuse, I think that such a feature
would be fairly low-risk (not much higher than the risk associated to
allowing anyone with a working email address to register).

        Stefan