Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen.")
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 22:41:37 -0500

  > AM> Their way of making money is by immorally, surreptitiously, and in many
  > AM> cases illegally collecting their users' personal data and selling it on.

I don't know what fraction of Apple's income comes from surveillance,
but we know Apple does surveillance on its users.

  > not try to distinguish itself by painting the other
  > side in such a lopsidedly evil light.

We should not exaggerate Apple's evil, but we also know that Apple
does other nasty things to its users.  It is lopsidedly evil, with no
exaggeration required.  See https://gnu.org/malware/malware-apple.html.

  > Yet they do not, as the above sentence might
  > suggest, gather together in dark rooms to render kitten fat over bubbling
  > cauldrons.

I am sure they don't, but nobody here said they did.  Alan did not say
that.  You exaggerated his words to an extreme, which Alan is not
responsible for.  Sticking to facts, Apple is extremely nasty.
Recently Apple extended its system of censorship of apps to
Macintoshes.  As of a year ago, new Maxintoshes did not allow
installing GNU/Linux.

I am sure that plenty of people who work for Apple love their
families and their pets, but that does not lessen Apple's wrongs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)