Re: Issue with rectangle mouse selection

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Issue with rectangle mouse selection
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 12:09:22 +0100

28 nov. 2019 kl. 11.00 skrev Ergus <address@hidden>:

> Trying the just new added rectangular mouse selection first, I'll say:
> this is a very nice feature, very very thanks for it Mattias.

Thanks for trying it, and for reporting your findings!

> 1) In tui interface the rectangle region is not highlighted during the
> mouse movement, just when the mouse button is released.

That's odd --- it seems to work with some terminals (after enabling
xterm-mouse-mode).
Terminal.app and Gnome Terminal are fine, but Xterm exhibits the behaviour you
describe.
I'll investigate.

> 2) In gui the rectangle limit and the cursor position are in different
> positions. This is more evident when using tabs indentation or crossing
> empty lines.

That's a behaviour inherited from the cursor-based rectangle marking (C-x SPC),
which is the underlying mechanism. Ordinary linear region selection actually
works the same way: the region includes the starting point but excludes the
cursor position.

The only difference is that with rectangular selection, the mouse tracks the
rectangle corner, not the cursor. This was done partly to get better behaviour
when selecting up to the right margin, and partly because it felt visually more
pleasing. It also makes it easier to select 0-column wide rectangles, which are
occasionally useful, whereas zero-sized linear regions are not.

However, because of how the our eye-hand coordination works, a small offset
matters very little in practice: the hand will automatically move to set the
desired selection from the immediate visual feedback without the user
consciously thinking about it.

By the way, I'm still not quite happy with the standard binding (C-M-mouse-1);
it was a weak compromise. If we could dislodge the squatters of the Meta,
Control or Shift bindings, I'd much rather use one of those modifiers.