Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 09:34:20 +0100

>> Alternatively, if we can't make resizing child frames work reliably,
> maybe prohibit it on the API level? And then work on making sure that
> deleting and re-creating a new child frame, and showing a buffer
> there, is fast enough.

Impossible.  See, for example, ...

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-01/msg00053.html

> BTW, this already gives me a bit better performance than the original
> resize-test (0.7s for 10 iterations vs 1.0s for the same, and a lot of
> that 0.7 is spent in GC):

... and my motivation for introducing 'tooltip-reuse-hidden-frame'.  The
apparent necessity to look up all fonts whenever making a new frame will
defy any such delete/re-create strategy.

> But an overlay-based popup is an order of magnitude faster still. And
> that's important because we really can't make the user wait for
> 70-100ms for Emacs to react to input.

Agreed.

martin