Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:29:57 +0000

All right, small update:

- I've redesigned the variables layout in the generated code.  Now every
  call by reference gets its own unique array for its arguments.  I
  believe this is the right way to express to the compiler what is going
  on.

  This has no impact on the compilation time, but produced binaries are
  slightly smaller.

  I'm pushing it after having rebased on top of master.

- I think is worth mentioning that is now 2 weeks circa that me and a
  colleague are using for everyday production Emacs all compiled at
  speed 2.  So far we have seen no crashes.

  I consider having speed 2 stable a major achievement.

- Connected to the previous point with the today push I'm setting speed
  2 as default.  This blows up compilation time to ~7h CPU time on my
  laptop (to be divided by the number of threads).  We can always
  fallback to speed 0 (~1h) but I think its important to test with
  optimizations.

  Also I took some measures, around 25% of the total compile time goes
  into leim.  ZIRANMA.el take like ~50min.  Still have to understand
  exactly what's going on with these but it's interesting for
  speculation purpose given the specific kind of file :)

  Also I'm questioning my self it's really worth compiling these files.

- I still have to investigate the fact that the pure space usage appears
  to be a little higher when native compiling.  In case some special
  trick to look into this already exists please mention.

Andrea

PS I've also tracked down the observed crashes I previously mentioned.
I tested two versions of the same patch convinced they were equivalent
but wasn't the case, my fault :/

--
address@hidden