Re: :alnum: broken?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: :alnum: broken?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 13:28:58 -0800

On 2/21/20 11:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
"[:space:]" is a valid, though peculiar, character class

Yes, but point of my suggestion was to suggest that we change Emacs to make it not a valid character class. In practice it would be a win to change Emacs in this way, since the aggravation of the current approach (which regularly bites people as this thread illustrates) far outweighs the aggravation of making classes like "[:space:]" invalid when they're intended (which they're invariably not).

A similar change went into GNU grep a decade ago, and in practice it's been a win. It would also be a win with Emacs.