Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 10:32:29 +0200

>> *** Emacs run under the mutter WM cannot resize child frames
>>
>> When running Emacs on GNOME shell under the mutter window manager, it
>> cannot resize child frames.  Emacs provides a workaround by setting the
>> option 'x-gtk-resize-child-frames' to either 'hide' or 'resize-mode'.
>> This option is considered a temporary workaround with restricted
>> functionality (child frames still cannot display scroll bars in that
>> environment) and will be hopefully removed as soon as a stable solution
>> to the problem has been found.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> SGTM, but please mention the Emacs version in the text, since this
> problem will be gone in future releases.

Sorry, I apparently was not able to make my point.  This problem is not
related to the mouse.el changes which I applied to master.  The problem
described here is more persistent and can be solved only when the mutter
people decide to fix it.  Till then, the workaround I applied to the
release branch can be used but is only imperfect in the way described by
the entry above.

martin