Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 17:25:16 +0300

On 07.04.2020 11:33, martin rudalics wrote:
 > By the way, any chance we can have a variable or an accessor function
 > that would return what the current WM identifies as?

I started to look into this but with meager results so far.  From what I
read on the Web there's no standardized approach to find that out.

So far the best option I've found is the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP env var. But indeed it only says "GNOME" (or "ubuntu:GNOME" on my machine), never mentioning Mutter.

But if Mate sets it to something different, at least, that could work well enough for the purposes of posframe.

The other, more nuanced option, is:

  grep -sl mutter /proc/*/maps

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/512207/166215

 > And also, what's the best way to detect which toolkit was Emacs
 > compiled with? Only look for 'gtk3' substring in
 > system-configuration-options?

It might not be there when the default is used.  It's hidden somewhere
behind C-h C-a.

(string-match-p "GTK3" system-configuration-features) seems to do the trick.