Re: Rendering regression in Gnus with gnus-treat-from-gravatar

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Rendering regression in Gnus with gnus-treat-from-gravatar
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 13:55:59 +0200

    >> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
    >> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
    >> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 12:13:24 +0200
    >>
    >> As an aside, emacs threading seems very unresponsive, in that it
    >> appears to take a very long time after the thread has been started
    >> before it reacts to the signaling of the condition variable. I was
    >> assuming I didnʼt need to explicitly yield from the main thread
    >> after that, but perhaps I do?

    Eli> The thread will not run until the main thread yields in some way.
    Eli> What does the main thread do after calling make-thread?

    (with-mutex gravatar-mutex
      (setq gravatar-retrieve-params
            (list mail-address callback cbargs))
      (condition-notify gravatar-cond-var))
    (thread-yield)

where the gravatar thread is doing 'condition-wait' on that same
condition var. Except that it then fires off an asynchronous url
request, so perhaps thatʼs the slow bit. Or itʼs the interaction with
redisplay thatʼs slow, I should perhaps test on a platform where
redisplay is not limited to the main thread.

Robert