Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:49:21 -0400

On Apr 22, 2020, at 8:12 PM, chad <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 3:52 PM Yuan Fu <address@hidden> wrote:

Some ideas:
3. It would be cool if Customize can customize mode hooks and auto-mode-alist and other usual stuff.

It seems like most elisp packages could come with a standardized "Here's the normal setup for this mode/package; would you like to run it now, have it run on each startup, or see a new buffer where you can examine it now?", analogous to how customize-theme prompts to disallow/allow-once/allow-always code upon loading the theme.

If Customize can provide a interface, I’m sure packages will (slowly) adapt to it, just as they adapt to defcustom.

(Honestly, I assume this never happened because most emacs devs seem to prefer managing snippets of elisp over using customize.)

Mainly for maintenance reasons, I guess. Custom file is usually not version-controlled. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, I find Customize useful for storing local configurations that could differ between machines (executable paths, etc). Maybe Customize could separate into two files, one version controlled, one local. And I can put many of my random setq’s into Customize.