Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 13:03:52 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 22:43:05 -0400
>
>   > It may be too late to actually separate the various features,
>
> Are you assuming that this means a lot of change in the code?

Yes, I think so.

> I have no idea whether it does.  Maybe most of the change needed
> is in documentation, and a few little details to go with
> the change in documentation.

I think we should try changing the documentation first, as that is a
Good Thing anyway.  When that is done, we could consider whether any
code changes are needed.  (I actually expect that to become evident
while the documentation is re-written in the directions I proposed:
whoever will do that job will discover that, for example, to be able
to produce a stand-alone document with Org, one would need features
that currently belong to some unrelated Org part -- which would mean
some code needs to be added or modified to make that feature
seamlessly available to document-writers.)