Re: How to poll the users

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: How to poll the users
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 22:22:30 -0400

  > I don't see how all of those downsides couldn't be
  > mitigated, providing a GNU site or other means to
  > serve as single collection point, echoing point
  > (echoing current counts, text suggestions, etc.),
  > and even providing a discussion venue.

I think we should make sure polls do NOT turn into discussions.
Discussions would multiply the bulk of messages and we would not be
able to digest them.

Most of you are brainstorming about what we could do.
I have actually done polls.

Dmitry wrote:

  > And if every such poll will requires a special setup (configuration by
  > the admins, etcetera), it will limit our ability to do them.

Having each poll dump responses into its own file was reliable and
easy.  To set this up takes a few minutes.

It may take an hour or two to write the posting.  It may take hours to
study the responses.  So let's not worry about the extra few minutes.

  > IOW, don't try to reproduce the polling here, there
  > and everywhere.  Just announce it here, there, and
  > everywhere.  Anyone who wants to discuss a poll
  > here, there, and everywhere is welcome to do so,
  > but that discussion will not automatically be
  > captured as part of the poll itself.

THose points seem valid to me.

--
Dr Richard Stallman