Re: evaluating numbers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: evaluating numbers
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 23:04:54 -0400

>   > We do know the answer to this question, since XEmacs has had a separate
>   > character type since even before it was renamed to XEmacs.
> That would be an answer about the general design approach, but the
> question I posed is about the current format of Lisp_Object.

Basically: if we wanted to have characters as a distinct type, then we'd
make room for it in Lisp_Object.

In any case, I don't think anyone is suggesting to make such a change
(and if someone proposes it, I'd object strongly.  Not because I think
having as a distinct type would be bad, but because it wouldn't be
better, so it would be gratuitous pain).

        Stefan