Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 04:16:49 +0300

On 02.05.2020 19:04, João Távora wrote:

But the more I think about it the more I think it's a bad name.  I would
never use it, it's so long. concat is concat. It's not His Excellence
Concatenatious the Third. Learning names of variables and functions
is the easiest and most fun part of programming anyway. You use format
until you stumble upon it. And I hope you don't want to rename it
string-format.

'format' is a well-known name on its own, across many languages.

BTW, does 'flex' not care about whether the match is in the beginning of
the string? Only about the gaps and the string's length?

I think so, yes.  I remember thinking about that and come to the conclusion
that the beginning is no more important than the end.

Consider completions for C-h f file-name-.

Don't you think it would be better to sort file-name-directory before backup-file-name-p?

Or file-name-sans-extension before help-C-file-name.

My position is: work on the manual.  Make it prettier, better organized,
etc.
Parsimoniously add new names if that really helps.
It might take another 5-10 years before I start using the manual regularly.

We should start by reading the time-traveller's handbook, then.

No need. Just ask a time traveller's really.

No really, I'm curious. Why don't _you_ use the manual.  Do you read
any manuals?

Very rarely. It's like a separate skill which I never put effort into mastering to an automatic level. The fact that we've had multiple disagreements about how the documentation should be written doesn't help either.

I'm like 50-50%, honestly I'll open the Elisp info node
and just C-s from there, then search around.

That's still slower than using completion.

But sometimes I'll
use google and C-h f.

Yup. Most users will use Google anyway, because that's #1 thing they know.