Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 20:52:15 +0300

On 04.05.2020 20:37, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

But changing something that exists, especially when it had existed for a
while, is a long, arduous journey with rare chance of success, IME.

It's longer, but not by a long shot.

Of many discussion about changing default behavior that I've seen, the vast majority have failed.

A recent example: the :extend
face attribute.

It's an interesting counter-example. First, it did little to change the actual functionality, just the looks. Second, there were no noticeable consensus, inside or outside the core, that the new behavior is better (I've mostly seen dissenting feedback, but the split is probably more like 50/50). But apparently you liked it well enough because it made Emacs's behavior more compatible with other software _you_ were familiar with, that even breaking the expectations of a lot of our users, or having to force all theme authors to update their themes (until I came along with a fix) wasn't price too high.

Emacs has survived for decades, sure, but that's because it's based on
some fundamentally good ideas, and that it managed (probably as a
consequence) to attract a few very smart people along the way that keep
it running.

That too, but it isn't enough.

Indeed, it isn't. Every such person is a stroke of luck, and people have a tendency to get old/change careers/retire/burn out/etc.