RE: Add some aliases for re-related functions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Add some aliases for re-related functions
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 11:33:16 -0700 (PDT)

> > I may have disagreed with this or that.
> > Just one opinion.  Agreement and disagreement,
> > with accompanying arguments, are normal.
>
> I probably over reacted a bit, sorry.

It's fine.  I think most of us have been there. ;-)
As someone else said, don't get discouraged.

> But at this point you'd now that I'd be fine with things not being
> perfectly categorized.
>
> What I'm complaining about is the lack of categories for a lot of
> functions, or categories that don't look consistent. For example, if
> everything string-regexp was under the "text-" prefix, I'd already be
> pretty happy compared to the current situation. Right now it's a bit
> here, a bit there, all spread around.
>
> Also as I said earlier if at least there was a standard, like
> "verb-object" I could understand, but the lack of consistency between
> "sometimes prefix, sometimes not, sometimes idiosyncracy" makes
> everything very unpredictable. Maybe I'd just embrace the chaos and
> the uncertainty but, I think having a reasonable amount of arbitrary
> prefixes would not be such a crime :-)
>
> Do you see my point?

I see your point.  We are all lumpers and splitters
to one degree or another, and differently in different
contexts and at different times.  And we can tolerate
inconsistency to different degrees.

Wrt categorizing/naming, as Stefan put it: it's both
hard and impossible.  Still, we try...