Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 13:19:23 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 11:10:09 +0100
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 10:56 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > What is the process of becoming :core? is that documented somewhere?
>
> No idea.  I think we just do it for things that are convenient.
> Note that :core is for one-file libs only _already_ in the Emacs tree,
> and they are taken from the master branch directly.

So I guess there's no such process at this time.  We just have some
packages that are already in core, and are _also_ available from ELPA.
IOW, it's a static situation that is not designed to change.

> > Then I ask again the same question: why not let these packages live on
> > MELPA or in GitHub or anywhere else?  What do we and the package
> > maintainers gain from having these packages on ELPA?
>
> Well, I would say two reasons: 1. It's a staging ground, a stepping
> stone where authors can experiment with Emacs dev procedures

Is that really important?  Why cannot the authors experiment with that
while outside ELPA?

> 2. We envisioned (I recall) that Emacs might one day be distributed
> with some of the packages in ELPA, presumably the well behaved
> ones.

This would require the same requirements as we ask for inclusion in
core.  That doesn't seem to be happening, and AFAIU it isn't by
omission.