Re: ELPA policy (was: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ELPA policy (was: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs)
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 14:11:42 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 12:42:01 +0200
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>  Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> > I'd prefer to start from our CONTRIBUTE, since (AFAIU) GNU ELPA is
> > supposed to be part of the Emacs project.  Commonality of requirements
> > is important IMO to make it easier to contribute a package: we could
> > then decide relatively easily whether to add the package to core or to
> > ELPA.
>
> Sure, but from a quick look at it CONTRIBUTE lacks a lot of what
> https://github.com/melpa/melpa/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.org#making-your-package-ready-for-inclusion
> proposes and would make sense for inclusion in ELPA. I'll copy the
> relevant parts of that section here:

I think you are missing my point.  I didn't mean the details on the
level you seem to focus, I meant the deviations from our requirements
for code accepted into Emacs.

I have comments on your specific points (most of them are in ELPA's
README), but I see no reason to start a tangent, because IMO much more
important issues are at stake.