Re: PL support

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 11:41:38 -0700

On 5/9/20 11:23 AM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 18:53:10 +0300

Cannot enable what?

Font-lock and indentation based on those capabilities, for one.

Neither is part of the LSP protocol, so Eglot doesn't do this (yet).

LSP at the moment provides more "advances" features: code completion, navigation and documentation. In short, it's a replacement for etags and the manual. For all supported languages.

For these two features in particular, we might want to pick a TreeSitter based solution anyway, because that one at least could allow us to continue writing grammars in Emacs, instead of entirely relying on external programs to keep up-to-date and complete grammars.

TreeSitter requires NPM for customization and compiles to C, right? I don't want people to require either to customize Emacs. Why not just port the tree sitter parser generator to elisp?