Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 11:59:31 +0900

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> 작성:

So "clostring-prepend"

Rather, 'clos-prepend'.

                           doesn't really achieve anything other than making
it unreadable. Magnar's clever choice of naming is, I think, one of the
reasons people like his libraries. Why change a feature and turn it into
unreadability.

'clos-prepend' is not harder to read than 's-prepend'.

The problem is that lots of packages use ‘s-prepend’, rather than
‘clos-prepend’. There are too many packages that are blocked on being ELPA
because of s.el and f.el (as dash.el is on ELPA).

Ostensibly it is "just an optional package", but if "most packages use it"
it would really be a replacement installed half-way.

The s- functions, by themselves, are clean.  s.el by itself is not a
mess.  But Emacs plus s.el is a mess.

That’s true. And there was a big previous discussion where some people here
tried to explain why people tend to use the s.el functions instead of the
Elisp ones, and rename some Elisp functions to make them more sense. But
nobody wanted to add s.el into Emacs core, I think everybody would be opposed
to that.

It contains 65 functions, similar to the Emacs string functions but
with idiosyncratic incompatibilities scattered throughout.  Some of
the changes are good, some are gratuitously bad.  Two different string
function interface, the one we developed and the one that was dropped
on us from outside.

Would we have any say over further development of the s- interface?
I get the impression we would not.

--
Dr Richard Stallman