Re: "Emacs Lisp Packages" chapter in the Emacs manual

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: "Emacs Lisp Packages" chapter in the Emacs manual
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 15:57:02 +0900

Drew, Stephan,

Please, let me go back to where this thread started and clarify what needs to
be done before the conversation goes into a different direction.

I want to add the minimum set of information to allow emacs users to

1) permanently "install" code that they wrote
2) install code that other people wrote where instructions are not clear

Basically, that seems to mean:

1) Since people will search for "install" in the manual and the most relevant
section is Packages we need to add a line and a link to the section about

I did that already.

2) Now, it seems that there is no consensus about what to put in the init file
to have that file load automatically when emacs starts, which is what a user
would like to do. If 'require is not recommended then what is, considering that
the phrasing would be "you *can*" and not "you *must*" and that a link to the
most relevant section can be added that describes all the possibilities. I
think we just need to add the most "benign" command that gets the job done.

When I'm done with that, I'll let you explore what needs to be written for
package developers ;)

Thank you for your understanding.

Jean-Christophe

> On May 11, 2020, at 13:40, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Not sure what you're suggesting.  Are you saying
>> that text should be removed from the manual?
>
> Maybe, yes.  Or at least it should clarify that this practice is discouraged.
>

>        Stefan

Jean-Christophe Helary