Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 11:08:25 +0200

On Mon, May 11 2020, Richard Stallman wrote:
  >    (print (eval (read)))

  > into:

  >     (-> (read)
  >       eval
  >       print)

The preference is a matter of taste. If you have a taste for Lisp, the former
seems totally natural.  If you don't, maybe it seems strange.

IMHO it's not a matter of having a taste for Lisp or finding `(print (eval (read)))` 'natural' or not. I find it perfectly natural, but there are cases where it becomes difficult to read, especially when you nest not two or three but five or six function calls and/or when each function call has additional arguments, which may be function calls themselves.

You can use `let*` to lay out such structures in a way that make them more readable. `->` and `->>` are even better than `let*` in this particular case, because you don't need the intermediate names.

->> is natural enough, because it adds the carried-over
argument at the end of the list.  But -> is unnatural,
since it adds the carried-over argument in the middle of the list
(after the first element).  I think that nested calls are
cleaner than ->.

Well, let's agree to disagree on what 'natural' means when it comes to Lisp. :-) To me, Lisp is first and foremost a practical language and if there's more than one way to skin a cat, it's fine if there's more than one language construct to do so.

Unlike *some* languages where everything must be an object and you need to contort your mind to use an anonymous function, or where everything needs to be a pure function and doing basic file IO becomes a mountain to climb. (All IME, of course. :-/ )

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments