Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 00:22:07 +0200

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> To the best of my knowledge, no other editing environment rewards
> sustained user investment so well.  ...

What you are saying is really very well put and I support your opinion
but...

> So I suggest that GNU Emacs's raison d'ĂȘtre is to be the text editor
> that best rewards sustained user investment.

Forgive me if I think above sentence should be a bit reformulated
because GNU Emacs is and must be more than a text editor (as text editor
I would choose Vim).

I like your notion of environment better, because Emacs should be the
glue between - effective - processes or workflows which (can and will)
arise around textual representations.

One example of such workflow support is org-mode which helps structuring
text (ideas), controlling and gathering calculation results, exporting
text together with these results and their recipe into documents and
tangling the code for achieving the results (reproducible research). And
here text becomes true magic.

Thank you

  Dieter

--