Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 23:17:08 -0400

  > > That translates to "either Emacs becomes a Elisp-programmable
  > > web-browser or goes extinct".

HTML is a peripheral application area for Emacs.  We should not exaggerate
its importance.

When I want to look at HTML in an email, I use an external renderer:
lynx.

The built-in Emacs renderer gives ok results when the links don't matter.
For links, the way it tries to follow them is useless since it doesn't
go through Tor.  Anyway, I'd rather send an email to fetch the page contents.
The lynx output makes that easy to do.

The built-in Emacs renderer often takes a painfully long time.  I wish
I could easily tell it to give up without trying if the text is above
a certain size or complexity.

--
Dr Richard Stallman