Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 23:50:18 -0400

  > Given the context, the above could be understood to mean that you
  > consider that developers of MELPA packages are not part of "us" and
  > don't develop high-quality software.

I have no comment to make about the quality of their software.
I suppose some packages are high quality and some are not.

Whether they are part of "us" is another question.  Or rather,
several other questions.

We could mean the developers of GNU Emacs.  We would welcome their
help, if they want to contribute.  To do that, they should talk with
us and try to make their contributions fit in.

We could mean the GNU Project.  We campaign for certain overriding
goals and principles: our work is not simply to develop "high-quality
software".  To help us, they should support our campaign -- starting
with not recommending nonfree software.

They choose what they do, and through that choice, they also choose to
be part of "us" or not.

--
Dr Richard Stallman