Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors

From: Rudi C
Subject: Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 16:05:25 +0430

I was happy with the verilog-mode! It was great! I mean it didn't have many IDE features (just syntax highlighting?) but that was all I needed. I am saying emacs is good for this stuff! :D
I have not tried eglot. I imagined it would not be different from the lsp clients set up by Spacemacs and Doom. (My experience with Spacemacs' lsp support was nightmarish. The nonfunctional, intrusive, slow lsp kept activating itself even when disabled. I had to exclude all lsp packages and even then sometimes lsp showed up. :| ) I'm trying eglot out now. :-) But even if it is good, I think it's important that such core functionality be given first-class support. Neovim has also adopted this approach, and is rolling its own builtin lsp client despite already having a few clients.