Discarding superfluous old alternative packages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Discarding superfluous old alternative packages
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 23:42:07 -0400

  > Maybe it could benefit if you clean up Emacs of some old cruft,
  > and maybe replace some old for new. I mean be brave enough to make
  > a choice and be vise enough to leave options for those who prefer
  > differ path.

In principle, this might be a good thing to do.  It could be that newer options
B, C, D and E cover all needs so that it would be fine if we did not have A.

But there could be many existing users of A who would be unhappy if we
deleted it now.

We could perhaps move A to GNU ELPA, and ask users to switch to B, C,
D or E within two years.

--
Dr Richard Stallman