Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 15:36:37 +0300

> Cc: theothornhill@pm.me, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 14:41:22 +0300

> >> I mean, do you visit them in the same Emacs session?
> >
> > I just answered that above.  This is all in a single Emacs session.
>
> What I meant is, is there harm in modeling that kind of project as VC
> project with just lots of exceptions (additional ignores). Or is that
> just difficult.

I don't understand the question.  What is a "VC project", and how is
it relevant to the use case I described with grepping another
directory to see how others solved some problem?

> >> OTOH, we already have a customization point that allows to exclude more
> >> files than .gitignore does (the project-vc-ignores variable).
> >
> > I don't think exclusion alone is enough.  We need also a way of
> > _including_ files in a project.
>
> It's on my list. As long as we're talking about whitelisting files in
> the same directory tree.

That's part of the issue, but it isn't all of it.

> But also see project-external-roots.

That supports only entire directory trees, so is not selective enough,
IMO.

> >> *And* one can use the project API to introduce a project backend that
> >> does not rely on VC repositories.
> >
> > I think we should have commands to do so in the core.  It's too basic
> > a capability for any IDE for us to leave it to add-ons.
>
> Commands? Project backends are applied automatically in the current model.

Don't understand what you are saying here, either.  Are you saying a
backend cannot support some notion of starting a project, or of adding
a file to a project?