RE: Quit and Close Emacs Special Windows

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Quit and Close Emacs Special Windows
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:39:16 +0000 (UTC)

> > If it doesn't, please ignore.  I thought it did
> > (and I thought Ergus thought so too).  Sorry if
> > I was mistaken.
> >
> > I thought he was asking about having `q' in such
> > buffers delete the window more often, instead of
> > preferring to restore some other buffer in it.
>
> Maybe it does have to do with it, I don't know.
> There's much too much implicit in those messages.
> Please clarify.
>
> E.g. Ergus says:
>
>     I know it is just a detail, but in some cases (like when using man or
>     compile mode, or reading a function documentation, or after executing
>     magit commands) it doesn't make sense to keep the buffer in the buffer
>     list after pressing q in 90% of the times.
>
> so to me it seems like this doesn't have to do with whether windows get
> deleted but with whether buffers are kept (maybe at all, or maybe only
> in the buffer lists).

Yes, I saw that too.  But the overall question
seemed to me to be about deleting the window.
And that was the point of the blog he linked
to, which he said does what he wants.  The blog
title is "Quit and Close Emacs Special Windows
Like Help and Compilation Results".

I agree that the original problem to be solved
wasn't specified too clearly.

I notice (in various places) that some users say
"buffer" when they really mean "window" - it's
pretty common on emacs.SE, for instance.

Anyway, you understand my (mis?)interpretation
of the question now, and thus my response.  If
my response was off-topic, sorry about that.