Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 22:56:42 +0100

On 2020-08-21 21:15, Alan Third wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 08:16:41PM +0100, phillip.lord@russet.org.uk wrote:
On 2020-08-18 18:20, phillip.lord@russet.org.uk wrote:
As a starter for 10, this is a file that tests features. The idea would be to include it in the main (not test) lisp hierarchy, probably with a single autoloaded command "feature-test" or something which would run ert with an appropriate selector. This would make it available for use in any Emacs distribution without having to include any files only found in the repo.

Feel free to ignore me, but I feel it may be more widely useful to
provide a list of all features and mark whether they're available or
not rather than run a test that reports unavailable features as
errors.

Something like this, but better:

(defun insert-feature (description test)
  (indent-to 2)
  (insert (if test "✔" "✖"))
  (indent-to 5)
  (insert description)
  (insert "\n"))

(defun list-features ()
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*Available Features*"))
  (erase-buffer)

(insert-feature "JSON" (progn (require 'json) (fboundp 'json-serialize)))
  (insert-feature "GNUTLS" (gnutls-available-p))
  (insert-feature "pbm" (image-type-available-p 'pbm))
  (insert-feature "xpm" (image-type-available-p 'xpm))
  (insert-feature "bmp" (image-type-available-p 'bmp))
  (insert-feature "gif" (image-type-available-p 'gif))
  (insert-feature "png" (image-type-available-p 'png))
  (insert-feature "xpm" (image-type-available-p 'xpm))
  (insert-feature "jpeg" (image-type-available-p 'jpeg))
  (insert-feature "tiff" (image-type-available-p 'tiff))
  (insert-feature "svg" (image-type-available-p 'svg))
(insert-feature "native images" (image-type-available-p 'native-image)))

Unless of course the idea is to automate it, I suppose, in which case
this will be of no use...

That would be useful, but then I'd need to know what the correct answers are. As I build both release and snapshots for master binaries, these answers could well be different from different builds, so again, I have to remember.

With an ert test, I can even put something into the .emacs on my windows build machine. When I build, I should be able to launch Emacs and it will run some basic "is the distribution package" working tests. I am thinking of features at the moment but, of course, I can run any tests at all -- I'd like to check binary stripping, and optimization for instance (the later caused problems for me before). I sanity check on the size of the files in the distribution would be useful (i.e. detecting if python has got pulled in again).

Phil