Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 22:55:48 -0700

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

>>     (setq frame-title-format "%b - GNU Emacs")
>
> I do that in my config, except that I use an en dash as the separator:
> "%b – Emacs"; and I also display a • if the buffer is modified and
> visiting a file.

Why do you use en dash?  Does Firefox, etc. use en dash, or is it simply
your own local customization?

Regarding the "•" for modified files, I have seen some programs add such
a marker (more often "*", IME).  But I checked LibreOffice and it does
not do that.  I think it would be useful to check if there are any other
text editors that use such a marker.

> One thing that slightly bothers me is that when the minibuffer is
> active the title changes to " *Minibuf-1* – Emacs". Which is
> technically true and perfectly logical but I think it would be more
> useful for me to display the name of the last active buffer. (I’m sure
> I could get to that if I spent some time at it; it just doesn’t bother
> me enough.)

Indeed, I see the same behavior in "emacs -Q" when I have two frames.

Maybe this could warrant a wishlist level bug report.