Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 18:28:01 +0100

    > Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:
    >>> Why do you use en dash?  Does Firefox, etc. use en dash, or is
    >>> it simply your own local customization?
    >>
    >> I do that because that is typographically correct. Other programs
    >> use a hyphen for historical reasons and if they all nod at each
    >> other for consistency then we will not have any way forward.

    > I agree with the typographical point.

    > But I worry that all fonts won't support en dash.  Could that be
    > the reason why others avoid it as well?

I am sorry to be monotonous, but could someone please tell me why
the frame title needs modernising, and the improvements that would be
expected to follow?

I often maintain identically named files for users with the same
login name. The only difference is the host name. This works at present
well by splitting my emacs into several windows. As I move the point
between windows, the title bar tells me which host I'm in. Of course,
there are other ways of getting the same information, but none as
convenient. I'm told I could change my init file to get back the
same effect in the newly proposed frame-title. But why? We already have
the effect.

Best wishes,

--
Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8