Re: search-invisible and friends

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: search-invisible and friends
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 13:41:03 +0200

> OTOH, maybe there could be unusual circumstances where it would make
> sense to consider hidden text as "visible" (e.g. if the `display`
> property replaces the text with something that looks very much like the
> same text, tho maybe rendered a bit differently).

Yeah, we have the recent proposed fix for Customize buffers where
symbols like `fill-column' have a bunch of display properties put on top
that makes it look like "Fill Column"...  having isearch skip past all
that would be unintended.

> So, maybe there should be a value of `no-search` (or some other
> property) which says "please do consider this text as visible even tho
> it's technically hidden".

I think perhaps the most obvious and flexible is to just make isearch
work the way it does today on text with a display property (i.e.,
agnostic), and then have a standard text property that modes can use to
make isearch skip.  I.e., just having a replacing display property in
itself isn't a strong enough hint that isearch should ignore the text.